Saturday 6 June 2015

Alexander McQueen Savage Beauty

"I want people to be afraid of the women I dress"

Back in May I went to the Alexander McQueen exhibition at the V&A museum.


You may be wondering who he was, you may have heard of him as the creator of new fashion or as the man who pushed the boundaries but never broke the rules. By going to this exhibition I was able to have an insight into his mind and the work he created in the short life he lived. I also made me realise that there are no rules in fashion and that the trends of each season don't have to be followed. 

The Savage Beauty exhibition showcases his work from his 1992 MA graduate collection to his unfinished Autumn/Winter 2010 collection. Each room exhibiting pieces from each collection with dramatic staging taking you on a journey throughout his designing career.

"London is where I was brought up. It's where my heart is and where I get my inspiration."

Each collection that he did presented another thought of his which he was able to promote through his designs, such as freedom of thought, expression and power. 

To create these visions he would take an idea and create something original and that had never been seen before. I guess that's where we can all take inspiration from because its not all about copycatting and following everyone else. Why not create something that is personal to you rather that was someone else's? Of course I will take inspiration from other people and in some ways will still follow the crowd, but don't we all? But still this has really changed my perception of fashion. At the end of the day, do we want to be remembered as somebody who just followed others or as someone who has put something back into this work? That is where I admire his work greatly.



"People find my things sometimes aggressive. But I don't see it as aggressive. I see it as romantic, dealing with a dark side of personality."

As we were taken on a journey of his life, we went through collection after collections, each setting the bar higher and higher. One of my favourites was his "It's only a game" Spring/Summer 2005 collection, where the show was presented as a chess game where it was the east against the west, inspired by a scene in the film Harry Potter and the Philosophers stone. This really shows that inspiration can come from anywhere. Other designs that featured included armadillo shoes, tailored coats with black hair woven into the lining, dresses covered with dyed ostrich feathers and headdresses of butterflies, antlers and so much more.

"I think there is beauty in everything. What "normal" people would percieve as ugly, I can usually see something of beauty in it."

To be honest there is no way of describing his work to you. I can't recommend this exhibition to you enough, but otherwise even reading about him online or on the V&A website will give you some insight into his work.

Remember that there are no rules in the fashion industry!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogger & Blogspot Templates by pipdig